I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around,
and don't let anybody tell you different

-Kurt Vonnegut

Welcome to what once was Judge Jonathan. This blog is dead. Please click here to continue. (Or here, if you really insist.)

Archive

Thursday, April 12, 2007

R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut



It's a sad day. Kurt Vonnegut, my favorite author, is dead.

He died yesterday, the same day my suggestion to read Hocus Pocus in our office book club was rejected for the fourth time in a row. Which, come to think of it, is something Vonnegut would have absolutely loved.

After the initial shock wore off, I remembered that just over two years ago, when I still had time to do things like read write about books I loved, I posted this - a sort of review of the marvelous Cat's Cradle.

Of course, other references to (and quotes by) the great K.V. have popped up on this blog regularly since then. For what other, more qualified people have to say, see the New York Times' must-read orbituary, as well as this 2005 article.

One final point: the BBC reminds us of the following remark by Vonnegut: "I'm suing a cigarette company because on the package they promised to kill me, and yet here I am."

Now we can finally say it: So it goes, Mr. Vonnegut.

No comments: