I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around,
and don't let anybody tell you different

-Kurt Vonnegut

Welcome to what once was Judge Jonathan. This blog is dead. Please click here to continue. (Or here, if you really insist.)

Archive

Monday, May 09, 2005

Forget Football

...or 'soccer', for that matter. Handball and basketball, that's where it's at it.

Why, you ask? Well, believe it or not, teams from both countries of which I happen to be a citizen won European titles last night in their respective tournaments.

First of all, Maccabi Tel Aviv won the basketball Euroleague for the second time in a row, beating Spain's Tau Vitoria 90-78.

Virtually at the same time, Wacker Thun defeated Portugal's ABC Braga to become the first Swiss handball team ever to win the European Challenge Cup.

A truly magnificent day in sports history. But I know what some of you are wondering - what are those teams doing in European competitions?

I suppose you can accept Israeli teams (where else would they be able to play?), but a Swiss team in a European league? Doesn't that come awfully close to actually admitting that Switzerland might be part of Europe? Well, those are the Swiss for you - trying to have their cake and eat it, too. Or as we like to say, de Foifer und s'Weggli.

Lest I forget it, I'd have to include ice hockey into the above category. After all, my mother informed me last week that I will be the owner of yet another passport later this year. I won't tell you which country - but they made last night just a bit less perfect by losing 2-1 to arch-enemy Russia at the Ice Hockey World Championship.

No comments: